Sunday, May 30, 2010

Pay It Forward

The Cardigan world- no- the entire dog fancy- was dealt a cruel blow with the untimely death of Marieann Gladstone on Friday. I am sure that most of the people reading this have their own memories of Marieann, and share the immense sense of loss.

Personally, I cannot think of a single other person "in dogs" that had a greater influence on me- who I am- how I think- what my goals and aspirations are. Unfortunatly, I don't believe Marieann knew how much her influence meant to me. I know I never took the time to tell her- I always thought there would be another chance.

I was wrong.

Marieann was many things, to many people. She was more than my mentor; more than my friend. Although we might not always agree, I always respected her opinion. She taught me about dogs, yes; but more importantly, she taught me about myself. In her very quiet, but very firm way, she never let me get away with making excuses or accepting mediocrity. From Marieann I learned about ethics and standards and values; and I never had a chance to thank her.

I will always regret that.

While discussing the untimely loss of our mutual friend, and how badly I felt about never telling Marieann how I felt about her, another friend suggested that I "pay it forward." ~ that I share with others all the things that I learned from Marieann over the years.

So, over the next few weeks, in the pages of this blog, I will attempt to share with you all the things that Marieann taught me about. I don't have her wonderful way of gently getting the point across without stepping on anyone's toes, but hopefully no one will be unduly offended.

We have lost a great friend and a great asset to our breed. There is no way that I, or anyone, can make up for what she offered. In a large way, my sharing is a way for me to heal as much as it is a way to pay tribute to one of the finest people I have ever had the privelege of knowing, and being able to call a friend.

Blessings to all of you.

3 comments:

  1. I, for one, look forward to what you have to share.... I never knew Marieann, but knew OF her well... She's definitely one of the 'greats' in the breed who will never be forgotten. The breed and the entire dog fancy has taken a blow at her unexpected and untimely loss....
    Thank you for being willing to share your memories and lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a newby to the breed, I never had the pleasure of knowing Marieann Gladstone, but I have heard many wonderful things about her. I, like Traci, am looking forward to reading what, I know, she would be so pleased you are going to share with the rest of us. Thankyou, Kathy, and I'm so sorry you lost such a wonderful friend and mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been lucky enough to know Steve & Marieann and have a companion Aragorn cardi. We met in 1984 at the Philly AKC show, when my husband and I were new to the breed and wound up with one of their wonderful dogs.

    We spent a delightful afternoon at their home back then and came away with our heart dog. We've kept in touch over the years and Marieann was always interested in how our corgi was doing, even tho' we didn't show her.

    I saw them last month at the National, but did not get a chance to say hello, since they were so busy. Marieann, as per her usual, was judging/mentoring the junior handlers in such a wonderful way that only she could do. I also thought I would have a chance to touch base later, but now that chance is lost.

    I can't wait to read what you're going to pass on. I'm sure that there are some delightful stories involved with these lessons.

    Godspeed, Marieann.

    Mary Kaminski
    Philadelphia, PA

    ReplyDelete