Monday, May 24, 2010

Choices and Priorities

Life is all about setting priorities and making choices. We learn that very early, when the decision is whether to play with our friends, or stay inside and finish our homework. It's a little bit depressing to discover that things don't change too much when you are an adult, isn't it? In fact, not only do you still have to make those tough decisions [Do I eat that chocolate cake, or do I go to the gym? Do I go to the office, or do I hang out at home with my spouse?] the consequences for our choices are so much more serious!

The same thing transfers down when you live in a multi-dog household, with multiple interests and venues.

Do you finish that championship first, or start on Agility/Obedience now? Should I breed my bitch NOW- or wait until after I finish her CD? Should I spend the money to go to that important dog show, or should I pay the credit card bill ["You get two notices-- TWO notices!!"]

Sometimes life- those Realities of Life- you know, the stuff that generally really Sucks--gets in the way of the things you really want to do. Things like JOBS- SCHOOL- MONEY--FAMILY-- all take us away from spending as much time as we would like to doing the things we want to do with our dogs.

Which- brings me back to my first line- Life is all about setting priorities and making choices.

I tend to go through this on a regular basis; this taking stock of where I am in my "dog life." Who do I have in the house- what am I doing with them- what do I want to do with them- what SHOULD I be doing with them that I am not able to do-- etc. I always end up with a "where do I go from here..." session...

I am a goal-setter, but unfortunatly, I tend to set somewhat unreasonable goals. I think it goes along with being "slightly" competative- Type A personality. As a result, I get frustrated when I haven't attained all of the goals I had set for each dog in the time period I had set aside! Inevitably, my frustration leads to a sense of disappointment with myself- never the dogs, for its never their fault!

However, in January I made only one New Years resolution- to not set unreasonable goals for myself- in any area of my life. I don't need to have the cleanest house, the best grades, spend every weekend with my grandchildren, and have the top obedience scores or the #1 Cardigan. Any of those would be wonderful- but I don't NEED any of them- and I don't need to make myself- or the people around me- insane while I try to reach unreachable goals.

Accepting that I have limitations is not easy- nor is lowing my personal bar a bit to allow for some breathing room. I have had to constantly remind myself that its all a matter of My Personal Choice...

My priorities have definitly changed! Whereas in the past I would be showing every weekend, I am enjoying the time I am spending at home with my husband and my family and the dogs. I am really enjoying working in Obedience and playing in Agility. My husband and I are looking forward to taking a vacation together, and we haven't done that in a long time!

Breeding and showing dogs is a very greedy hobby- it will quickly take up all of your available time and money. If I can offer one word of advice to a new person coming into our sport, it would be to go slow- take your time, and learn early on to set your priorities and make smart choices! Don't let dogs shows take over your life- and don't find yourself over run with dogs! Its not fair to the dogs- or to yourself- and especially not to your family!

And- no matter what- remember to have fun! It's all just a game!!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Kathy! As someone "new" to dogs, with the life-long goal of competing with my dogs, this is a great reminder from someone who's "been there, done that, and gotten all the tshirts".

    Hopefully I'll do big things like you have, yet also have the ability to balance my life, esp my family as time progresses. Thank you for being a good example! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone else who is a "slightly competitive Type-A" personality, this is a good reminder to me. Not only to set priorities, but to realize that I can't have everything RIGHT NOW, which is of course how I would like it.

    I'm glad you're only taking three courses this semester instead of the insane load you were carrying last semester. You do a great job at keeping all the balls in the air, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really great post! It can be very hard to keep the balance due to the oddly addictive nature of competing with dogs...and I only do agility. I would love to do more but time and money, as well as not totally alienating the spouse, keep things in check.

    ReplyDelete