Saturday, January 9, 2010

Puppy Commencements

Remember that old Carpenters song... We've only just begun...A Kiss for luck and we're on our way...

Thats how it always feels when we send our baby puppies off to their new lives. They have only just begun to live- I kiss them on their little noses and send them off with a new family into a new world! It's pretty scary, I have to admit!

After probably a year or more of planning a breeding; 60 some-odd days of gestation {and lots of dreaming and praying along the way}; and the 10 weeks of watching those formless lumps turn into beautiful Cardigan babies, it's hard to let them walk out the door!

No matter how much screening I do {and I do screen my puppy-people very thoroughly} I never really KNOW them well enough. When I trust someone with one of my puppies, I am entrusting them with a big part of me! Thats really hard to do! Not only that, but I am letting this complete stranger take away a puppy that has become a little person! I know what each of my puppies likes, and doesn't like. I recognize each of their barks and whines- how they like to be held- what their favorite toy is. These puppies have pretty much been the main focus of my life for the past 20 weeks, at least; and all of a sudden its Puppy Party day.

A few litters ago, I had an idea that I would have one Puppy Commencement Day; a single Saturday event, where all the new families would come to my home to pick up their companion puppies. At the same time, they would get to meet the other families, have some constructive play with all the puppies, meet the parents of the puppies when possible, and I could do a mini-puppy kindergarten class. I generally put together a light lunch and a decorated cake {Welcome to the Xtacee Cardigans Family} and everyone spends the afternoon just enjoying Cardigans.

Today was the Sera x Powell and the Dora x Nicky puppies Commencement Day. Because of the time of year, I rented the training room where I go for my Agility classes- and everyone met there. We had a great time!! The puppies had so much fun running in the big room {we took the equipment down, except for a tunnel to play in} and the families had plenty of photo ops with Nicky, Sera and Dora playing and running with the puppies. At the end of the afternoon, puppies are tired and ready for a nice nap in the car, on their way off to their new lives. Several new friendships are formed, and plans are made to get together in April at the Nationals!

Now that I am home, however, its quiet. There are still four puppies here- one that is waiting for the weather to break for a flight to North Carolina; one that is going to New York when his new Mom gets done with some family obligations; and the two that are here to stay. Its still much quieter than it has been! Now my own puppies can have their own Commencements...

Its so exciting...

5 comments:

  1. I know you kept the red girl from Sera, but who did you keep from Dora?

    I LOVE the puppy party idea; I've watched a couple of other breeders do it and it seems to work very well. I'm adopting it myself for this litter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ended up not keeping anything from Dora and Nicky. There were some nice puppies, but for me to keep a male, it has to be outstanding, and none of the males were better than Nicky, in my opinion. Instead, I kept the black male from Sera's litter as well. He is a very typey, sound boy. I am going to run on him for awhile and see how he matures. He may well be available in 6 months or so. His pedigree is outstanding, and he is black... so it was worth running on him for awhile and see how he matures.

    And I have some exciting litters planned ahead for Nicky- I am still hoping that I will have a black Nicky son before too much longer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh who is coming to NC? A show puppy I can see in the ring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a beautiful blue boy coming to NC- by the name of Xtacee I Am Legend-- I am hopeful that you will see him in the ring with Mandy Bossi! Time will tell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me more about the upcoming Nicky litters. I have to say, I am just BONKERS about the brains, work ethic and personality of my Nicky daughter!

    ReplyDelete