Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Life's Balancing Act

Have you seen the movie National Treasure, Book of Secrets?

There is a scene in the movie that perfectly illustrates what my life is like these days! The cast is in a cave- which isn't the important part- but somehow they all end up on this huge platfor which is teetering on the brink of an abyss. In order to prevent disaster they have to maintain this perfect balance- if they move just a tiny bit too far to one side or the other, the platform shifts and throws them all off balance- DISASTER!!

My life of late has become the same sort of balancing act! At each corner is another "responsibility" pulling at me- Family, School, Dogs, Kennel Club, Friends, Training, Housework-- all of the "shoulda-woulda-coulda's" If I spend too much time in one area, the platform tips- and I face inevitable disaster! Try as I might, I can't seem to make everyone happy, or fit it all into my schedule. There are just not enough hours in the day or days in the week!

Of course, I knew that this semester was going to be very intense; I have more credits this time around, and all of the classes are heavy on the assignments. I anticipated that I was going to have to spend more time studying and thought I had prepared my family that I was going to need more help around the house and with the dogs. 'Nuff Said on that one!

Of course, in perfect accordance with Murphy's Law- I have these beautiful puppies~ Morgan and Lucy. What was I thinking keeping not one, but TWO puppies? I don't have time for 2 puppies- I barely have time for the adult dogs....

And... speaking of the adult dogs... Bugsy is working so well in Rally and Obedience, and I miss training him in Agility. I really love taking him to class and working with him. Jitterbug just LOVES to train- in anything- she just likes to WORK!! "Mommy Mommy ask me anything and I will do it" She is so incredibly smart- and picks up everything so quickly; I feel guilty that I am not working with her more. And, of course, there is Sera, who, now that her Specials career is over, is ready to begin some serious performance training too!

You know that you have your priorities a bit off kilter when you spend a Sunday afternoon working on a project for the Kennel Club you belong to, instead of with your grandson, at his last cub scout Pinewood Derby, and his moving up [to Boy Scouts] ceremony. But... thats exactly how I spent last Sunday, I am ashamed to say. Hubby took the time to spend with our family- and I am thankful for that!

Of course, I do try to make time for my friends- probably more so than I should. But every girl needs her friends. I mean, seriously-- who else am I going to vent to when I am running from side to side on this platform thing of mine, trying to keep from falling into the abyss? My friends- whether it be the real life flesh and blood type, or my Facebook friends, or my friends from school, one way or another keep me sane! Friends are the only way I can keep in balance with everything that is going on!

Now, you will probably notice that in my grand balancing act the one thing I didn't mention is housework. On my list of priorities, it falls pretty far below less than important. When I do my 'to-do' list, somehow I never seem to get to the part that says dust, vaccum, scrub. There are so many more important {and fun!} ways to spend my time!

Life is really nothing more than a giant balancing act! I love my life; don't get me wrong! I can't imagine giving up any of the activities that keep me so busy, so I will have to continue to perfect my timing and ability to prioritize,

And pray for Balance in my life...

4 comments:

  1. You certainly have a full plate -- and maybe a salad plate and a bread plate to go along with it! I think you're doing a great job keeping all of the balls in the air. School will be over before you know it, and housework can wait. You hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my philosophy, too...Housework can always wait! If there is a little dust and dog hair in the house, it just means I've spent my time doing something more fun and rewarding. Hanging out with friends, loving and playing with the dogs, or working to make sure there is enough $$ to pay for the dog stuff! That's the priority, right? LOL They think so anyway! :)

    Cheers to you, and prayers to find that perfect balance in your life. It's never easy, but thank Goodness for the friends that understand us and our obsession with our dogs! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone once sent me the quote: "A clean house is the sign of a wasted life". It really helped me to chill out on worrying about housework.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about finding balance. I think of it as a "personal diversification" strategy. I believe that, just like one's investment portfolio needs a mix, so does one's life. That way, if one part of my life is "down", the parts of my life that are "up" can compensate.

    It is always a challenge to find that balance...

    BTW - if Jitterbug wants to come live with Ziggy, he says she can come training with us ;)

    ReplyDelete