Friday, January 15, 2010

Bringing up Baby Part 1

All of our puppies go to their new homes with a packet of information on diet and early training, and the very strong recommendation that they enroll in a Kindergarten Puppy Training class as soon as the puppy has completed their vaccinations. When I talk to new puppy owners, whether my own, or clients, I stress the importance of early socialization for all breeds, but in particular, herding breeds. We talk alot about the intelligence of the herding breeds, and their ability to think through a situation; as fun as that makes them to live with, it can cause problems if the puppy is not socialized early on!

Just by virtue that the puppy has left its littermates, it has gone through a traumatic experience. I like to send my puppies home between 9 and 11 weeks of age, so this is a fairly pliable stage for them to make this transition. Its very important that the new family keep up with lots of positive reinforcement in the puppies life!

One of the things that I have adopted is a chart that I include in the New Puppy Packet, for the owners to hang on their refrigerator. This chart is divided into 1 week intervals, and there are 24 items on the list that I feel each puppy should be exposed to at least one time each week. I expect that each family member make a committment to helping the new baby have a positive exposure to the new experiences. Some of the items on the list include: Babies/Toddlers; Uniformed people; People in hats; bicycles; shopping carts; strollers; slippery floors; people with Loud voices. By the end of the 25 weeks, if the chart is followed properly, each puppy would have been exposed to all 24 items a minimum of 7 times. If the puppy is upset or unsettled by something, I advise the new owners to NOT comfort the puppy- but ignore the reaction, and either just stand or sit there and let the puppy think it through, or distract the puppy with something else. The worst thing you can do is to baby a puppy that has become frightened! This just reinforces the fear!

Another item that is in my New Puppy Packet is "5 Easy Tips for Training"- a simple guideline for teaching your puppy to enjoy walking on a leash. As a Vet Tech, and having taught KPT and Obedience classes for many years, I am amazed at how many dogs just do not know how to walk on a leash without pulling- and how many dogs just simply do not enjoy being put on a lead! This should be the most FUN thing for your dog! "Wow! Mom {or Dad} is putting on my special clothes to take me with THEM!! I can't wait" should be their attitude!! All too often I have been told that owners have had to drag their dog out from behind the sofa to put a collar on their dog so they could bring them to class! How Very Sad!!

Using my method, the puppies are introduced to light collars and a light lead from the day they go home to a fun game in the house! They learn the "dance" that we call leash walking! Its always positive- its always fun- and they learn that when they pay attention to mom and dad, there is praise and treats involved- and mom and dad are just the greatest things in the world!

I always insist that puppies go home on a weekend, and recommend that at least one family member plan on taking a few days off to stay home with the new baby. There is nothing that will set a new pet up for failure faster than rushing housebreaking. Young puppies have limited control over their bladders and bowels. It is simply cruel to expect them to remain clean and dry in a crate for more than a few hours at a time. In addition, puppies need food and water throughout the day!

I use a crate attached to an exercise pen for keeping a young puppy whenever I cannot be at home. In the crate, I will place the puppies' bedding, his water bowl and his food dish and favorite chew toys. At the very farthest end of the ex pen I will layer "pee pads" or newspaper. This allows the puppy the opportunity to "go" away from his bed; you don't ever want to force your puppy to have an accident in their crate.

However, when I am home, the ex pen is folded up- and I use the crate for naps and feeding. The rest of the time, the puppy is either in a small area with baby gates where I can watch them for the "signs" that they have to go potty, or on a 10 ft lead attached to my belt loop- so that I am always within sight of my puppy. I frequently take the puppy outside to the potty area, and repeat the magic words that I use to exercise the puppy- and praise them lavishly when they are successful- and take them instantly inside. I always take the puppy outside the same door, and have a cluster of sleigh bells hanging from the door handle, which I let the puppy touch with their nose or paw as I go through the door.

As the puppy develops control, they will soon learn to run to the door, ring the bells to go outside- but you need to listen for those bells!!

Most of Bringing up Baby is common sense! They are very smart; in fact, they have the mental capacity to learn everything they need to complete their Utility Degree training at 8 weeks~! The trainer just has to break it into small enough sessions for their reduced attention span! There is no such thing as a Cardi puppy that can't be house trained- or can't be trusted in the house. Most of the dogs with bad house manners are the result of sloppy training as a youngster.

By being diligent those first few days and weeks at home; by socializing your new puppy carefully, and by teaching your puppy to love being with you, you are building a foundation for a long and wonderful relationship!

Enjoy those first few weeks- its a lot of work- but its a magical bonding time!

2 comments:

  1. Very imformative post Kathy!! Thank you for posting this and can't wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see a copy of the chart you use, Kathy. I always make myself a "schedule of experiences" with a new pup, but I'm sure there are things I haven't thought of (like the uniforms).

    ReplyDelete