Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Moving Forward

I have been unemployed for just about 2 months now- and I guess thats my mental limit.

Before I was laid off, when we all KNEW it was coming, I had these grand plans for my 'down-time'!! I was going to sit home, collect unemployment (for the first time in my life!!) get a tan, spend time training the dogs, go back to school, go to dog shows, relax, organize the house, remodel the kennel, decorate the living room...etc...etc... I think, since I KNEW I was going to be unemployed at some point, I was almost looking forward to it!

HOWEVER- I was totally unprepared for how it was going to effect me emotionally~ and ~ completely out of my element with being a "stay at home" person!!

I am- to put it mildly- BORED OUT OF MY SKULL!!

It's not that I don't have THINGS to do! I definitly COULD be training the dogs, organizing the house, working on the new kennel, decorating the living room- Hell-- I could be cleaning- and gardening- and grooming!

But most mornings I find myself having a hard time doing ANYTHING!!!

I am enrolled in school- but class doesn't start until August. I am going to dog training classes- several of them- and I do work the dogs- but there is a limit to how long and how often you can train a Corgi; they are too darn smart and they burn out fast!!

I would be going to more dog shows- but that involves spending money- which I am having a hard time justifying- since I have a reduced income. My specials bitch has dropped all of her coat and my class puppy dog is really not at all competative yet- so there is no sense in giving my money away to the kennel clubs and then giving breed points away, too! So I am staying home more!

I think the dogs and my husband- and even my sons- are LOVING that I am home all the time.

But I'm not! I feel like I don't have a purpose- I guess I was just MEANT to be a worker-bee; even though I have so often been accused of being the Queen Bee!!

I can't wait for this economy to turn around!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogosphere :)

    You know you could always come up and do that "judges education" jaunt you were talking about.....BEFORE I find a job :)

    I'd love for you to see this place when it isn't under 3 feet of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, Shelley- That is sounding very tempting!! But for me to come up, I have to bring a BUNCH of dogs!!

    I actually applied for a (GASP!!) Retail Management position today! You know that means NO Dog Shows and NO puppies-- and NO judging assignments!! I may as well go to Emeritus Status ALREADY!!

    I desperately need some mental stimulation!! I feel like a mom stuck home with two year olds all day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been there done that, for 5 mos this last winter. Thankful that I found another job before the economy totally tanked-in a field that actually does well with bad economies, but again, I know all about the whole downtime drag. Mine was in the winter-hello, Iowa-Winter-house bound. All I can say is that make a plan for each day, make sure to accomplish one thing, mark it off and then go to the next one. Good luck! I ended up doing a lot of cooking, painting and reading-love Half Price Books ;0)

    ReplyDelete