Sunday, July 25, 2010

Its a Priority Thing

This should be called a Public-Self-Flogging Blog- or something of that sort.

I BLEW IT-- I mean- I REALLY Blew it this weekend, and I owe Bugsy a HUGE apology. But, being a dog- and a wonderful Cardigan, at that, he forgives me. Because he is just like that! He is perfect- he doesn't care that I pushed him and his needs to the side... wait... let me start at the beginning...

Bugsy is, first and foremost, a most AWESOME dog! He is a totally cool DUDE of a dog! He isn't always the easiest dog- because he has this wonderful BRAIN~ he actually thinks~ which has been known to get him in trouble! He hasn't always had the best life- but since he has been back home where he belongs, he has been my "Best Buddy". We have had an ongoing Training Date Night, where just the Bug Man and I went to training class, and he learned about Obedience and Rally- or Agility- but it was a PRIORITY in my life- and that special me and mom time was important to Bugsy.

This summer has been a bit rough. First of all- emotionally, I haven't been there. I lost two dogs, I lost a good friend, I can't find a job... its all been playing on my mind alot. And... Money has been really tight... And... School has been tough...And... its been so hot...And... And...

I made the decision to change Obedience Instructors, but hadn't committed to a new Instructor yet- so was sort of sitting in Limbo (which became really comfortable) No training fees to pay- one less worry- Blah Blah Blah

So along comes a three day trial, indoors and air conditioned, in which Bugsy is entered. I have no idea WHAT I thought. I haven't really worked with the poor dog in weeks! I mean- occasionally I would toss a collar on him and take him out in the yard and do some heeling- or I would toss him over some jumps or through a tunnel. But I ignored his longing gaze from the yard every evening... I ignored my training bag gathering dust on the shelf... and I ignored the fact that my performance dog was not getting any attention!

I deserved EVERYTHING I got, didn't I?? I didn't make Training A Priority!!! 1,000 lashes with a wet Noodle!!!

I KNOW better!! I know that Cardigans are too smart for this-- I know that, given the opportunity, they will devise their own way to occupy their brains, and their time! I also knew that I was in trouble the second that I attempted to step into the Rally ring on Friday!

Note: I said attempted!

Because, after over a month of leisure, Mr. Bugsy planted his feet and said "I don't have to do this- and you can't make me..." I did finally get him in the ring... only to have him bolt as soon as I told him to drop the toy on the Figure 8!

The total of the weekend??? Entered 6 classes; only 2 Q's-- Luckily, (I guess) he Q'd in both Rally Exc. B and Rally Adv B on the same day- so he did get 1 leg toward his RAE-- but he very badly NQ'd in both classes on Friday, and in Advanced on Sunday---

Oh- and Exc on Sunday-- I blew past a sign and NQ'd for him.---

So- on to the Public Self-Flogging! One Thousand Lashes- Let the punishment begin!

Its time to make training a priority- and to quit making excuses. My dog deserves a much more dedicated trainer because he is one heck of a great dog!

I'm sorry, Bugsy- I'll try to be better next time!

3 comments:

  1. Don't beat yourself up too much, Kathy. Life happens, whether we want it to or not. Next time you'll make sure you get the training time in before a trial. And that's the nice thing about Cardigans: if they aren't good, they're at least entertaining. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh he is entertaining!! And, he can be a brat!! If nothing else, this pushed me into contacting a trainer that I have been wanting to work with for awhile! I scheduled some private lessons for Bugsy and I with her, and will hopefully get back on track now. I guess this was the kick in the pants I needed~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to laugh Bugsy grabbing the toy. Unlike some other herding breeds, Cardis have a sense of humor. It can drive us nuts, but life is never boring! My girl went right up to sign #4 at a recent trial- with the sign right up to the uncovered mirror. Who WAS that dog facing her? She completely forgot about me. Dogs forgive, and I'm sure Bugsy will forgive you, now that he has had his fun.

    ReplyDelete